Who you hang out with really matters. This is known as The Power Of Association.
What you do when you are hanging out with people matters too.
Who we listen to, take advice from and hang out with shapes our income, the level of our success and ultimately the happiness in our life.
Motivational speaker and author, Jim Rohn famously said, “You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.”
So I want you to think for a moment – who are you currently hanging out with and are you happy to be the ‘average’ of them?
Is an average of their results, their career, their finances, relationships, and lifestyle something you aspire too or are they where you are at the moment, and that place just isn’t fulfilling enough for you?
When it comes to our success in life we are influenced by those closest to us – whether we like it or not!
Who we hang out with affects our self-esteem and our success in what we want to achieve.
So if you want to succeed in business and become a Freedompreneur, then you need to consider the power of association, about who you are hanging out with, and where you are hanging out.
Here are some ideas to uplevel your peer group:
- Read, listen and learn from others. Working on your own personal development will catapult your success. Whether you decide to stay in your corporate job or are so hungry to make the leap and create a business you love… personal development is key. There are many books, videos, and TEDTalks that you can immerse yourself in to propel your personal growth. These may not be face to face interactions, but if you are hanging out with their ideas every day, you will become the average of them.
- Engage A Mentor Or Coach. The best way to grow is to spend time with someone who has been there and done what you want to do. A mentor or coach will challenge you to be the best you can be, and guide and support you along the way.
- Join a Mastermind Group. A group of people who are at the same level as you, or slightly above, will be able to give you a different perspective on your problems and strategies to reach your goals. A mastermind group can really help you achieve more, and be a support that you have never experienced before.
- Make Strategic Connections. Be strategic (whilst remaining authentic) with whom you hang out. You want to be aligning yourself with people that lift you up, encourage you and that you can learn from. Ideas for making these connections can include attending networking events and conferences that open up your mind to new experiences or going to Meet-Ups that are about personal development and getting more out of life.
- Change Your Environment. One of the best ways to influence your behavior and drive real personal growth is to change your environment. It’s not only who you hang out with that matters, but where you hang out as well. If you place yourself in the right environment you will thrive. If you place yourself in the wrong environment, you will wither. You may not literally die, but at some point in your life you will look back and realize that you died on the inside, because of whom and where you focused your time…
I want you to question and think about who you hang out with and where you are hanging… what is your real goal in life, and are they going to help you get to it? If you would like to discuss the power of association, please leave a comment below or find me on Twitter; @amandacwatts.