I HAVEN’T BEEN STUCK IN A TRAFFIC JAM FOR YEARS – NOT EVEN ON THE M25…
So here is the thing, in 2009/2010 my life changed, and I had to re-evaluate how I was acting in the world and the kind of life I wanted to lead.
It was at this time that I knew I had to change the quality of me… not the world around me, but me.
It was time to actually stick to my moral principles and be honest and truthful at all times, no matter how big or small the situation is…
Integrity: the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles
And not just when the world is watching, but behind closed doors also.
Living like this has changed my life… the choices I make every day make sure that life isn’t a “bitch” to me, but in fact treats me kindly.
You might be wondering “Why does this matter? What is the big deal about living a life of integrity?”
Well, if you are living your life without integrity you may find Karma bites you on the bum. If you are failing to be honest and truthful with people, you may find that people lie to you… or you feel bad and this effects your confidence and happiness levels…
Ask yourself – are you the best person you could be?
In business you have to act a certain way. But you don’t have to be ruthless and mean to be successful. One of my mentors runs an international business, with 50+ people on his team, and is highly respected in his industry. Why? Because every action I have ever seen him take is with Integrity.
And when you lead with integrity you are respected.
Here are some examples of how you can make sure you live a life with integrity:
- Know your values and stand true to them. If honesty is a value of yours, then make sure you are honest at all times.
- Do not betray someone’s trust – if they tell you something in confidence, don’t then go and share this, even with their other friends.
- Do not gossip or talk badly about others. As my mother said, if you haven’t got anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.
- Don’t keep secrets from your family. I truly believe the reason I have such a strong relationship with my mother and sister is because we don’t keep secrets. We discuss our problems and trust in each others love.
- Don’t keep secrets from your spouse/partner. Secrets are like poison, that infiltrate the air and will one day kill the relationship.
- Always own up. If you make a mistake, own up. By owning up you can then either rectify the mistake or put things in motion to make sure it won’t happen again. Integrity is knowing you are wrong and owning that. Getting stressed and playing a blame game will eventually eat you up.
- In business integrity is paramount.
- Go above and beyond to provide huge value and care about your clients.
- Don’t take short cuts, or under deliver.
- If you say you are going to do something, make sure you do it.
- Don’t lie to your clients, if you genuinely forgot to do something just tell them. Human error happens.
- Pay your bills. If you try and squirm out of paying your coaches, suppliers, staff you will not be living with integrity. If you don’t pay your bills, one day others will not pay you. Karma is a bitch!
- Energetically show up, people will feel it. If you approach things half arsed, then expect others to act half arsed towards you.
- Eat your peas. I spent years hiding my peas under my knife and fork so my parents couldn’t see – may seem small but this was not living with integrity (although my 10 year old self was more bothered about the peas than this kind of integrity I think!)
And living with this integrity will really change your life. You believe and know that good things will happen and you will be alright.
Like I said at the beginning of this article…
- I have not been stuck in a traffic jam for years
- No matter how tight things have been financially, I have always paid every bill
- I have great relationships with my clients
- I have great relationships with my family
- My children have a deep understanding of the power of truth
Moving into living a life of integrity changed my life and can change yours too… every day you can step closer to having good Karma, and make a difference in the world.
What would living a life of truth mean to you. How would your life change?
Integrity is doing the right thing, even when people are not watching.
So remember to wash those hands when you go to the bathroom… the next hand you shake is relying on your integrity!